In just four years, Bronx native Justus Williams went from chess novice to being awarded the level of chess master by the United States Chess Federation at age 12, becoming the youngest African American chess master in history. He describes himself as “the “LeBron James of chess.”
Williams was your typical Air Jordan-wearing, music-loving kid going to public school. In third grade he started looking for an extracurricular activity to get involved in, and his mother suggested chess. Williams joined an after-school program called Chess in the Schools and caught on to the game quickly. His teachers took notice. From there, Williams started competed nationally and internationally, winning titles along the way.
Justus Williams is making history as… an internationally recognized chess master. Williams is ranked fourth in the world in his age group and has traveled all over the world to play other renowned chess players, some more than twice his age. As the youngest African American chess master, Williams is catching the attention of the black community, a group not often linked to the game.
What’s next for Justus? Williams continues to compete internationally and is working on releasing a series of video tutorials on how to play chess. He also launched the Dare To Be Different campaign, a national effort encouraging young people to tell their stories of why they chose an unusual path and to expose them to the game of chess.
A little-known fact… While Williams broke the mold as the youngest African American chess master, two other African Americans closely followed him in earning that distinction. Joshua Colas, a few months younger than Williams, became a chess master a few months after Williams, and James Black Jr. became one in July 2011.
CLICK HERE to read story
article courtesy of TheGrio.com
- First Lady Michelle Obama Honors Her Favorite Dads On Father’s Day
- Do You Like The New Byron Cage Song “You” [Poll]
- BeBe Winans Weighs In On Creflo Dollar Arrest [EXCLUSIVE]
- VH1 To Honor Rodney King With Repeat Of ‘Uprising’
- Jehovah’s Witnesses Ordered To Pay $20Mil In Child Sex Abuse Case!
- Jada Pinkett Smith Takes On Child Trafficking And Modern Slavery
- Benny Hinn Says Wife’s Drug Problems Led To Divorce
- NAACP To Investigate Arrest Of Creflo Dollar
- Yolanda’s Points Of Power: Restoration In The Body of Christ [EXCLUSIVE AUDIO]
For all your Inspiration Updates and to chat with us online LIKE US on Facebook!