A 64-year-old great-grandmother from Los Angeles beat out several of her younger competitors in a fitness competition earlier this month in Atlanta, Georgia
Ruby Carter-Pikes and her six-pack abs placed second in the Women’s Figure category, placed in the Fit Moms catergories, and was named Women’s Super Masters Champion, according to a video posted to FitSciences Championships’ Facebook page.
“It’s like showing people age is only a number and you don’t have to get cut up or do anything crazy, just be healthy and take care of your body,” Carter-Pikes said.
Judging for the Figure category focused heavily on shoulder, latssimus dorsi and quadriceps, according to the event’s website.
“Abdominal development is very important as well. Definition with a limited amount of striated muscles,” the rules read, in part.
Carter-Pikes is the oldest of twelve siblings and the first granddaughter of 45 grandchildren, she writes on the fitness site BodyProud.org.
“I have to look in the mirror sometimes and say, ‘Damn girl, you’re 64!’ But I feel the same. I can do everything I ever did,” she told NBC4
In her online profile, Carter-Pikes, who grew up in rural Mississippi, writes that her journey to fitness started when she saw her family members’ poor health result in early death and lost limbs:
CLICK HERE to read story
article courtesy of NBCLosAngeles.com
- First Lady Michelle Obama Honors Her Favorite Dads On Father’s Day
- Do You Like The New Byron Cage Song “You” [Poll]
- BeBe Winans Weighs In On Creflo Dollar Arrest [EXCLUSIVE]
- VH1 To Honor Rodney King With Repeat Of ‘Uprising’
- Jehovah’s Witnesses Ordered To Pay $20Mil In Child Sex Abuse Case!
- Jada Pinkett Smith Takes On Child Trafficking And Modern Slavery
- Benny Hinn Says Wife’s Drug Problems Led To Divorce
- NAACP To Investigate Arrest Of Creflo Dollar
- Yolanda’s Points Of Power: Restoration In The Body of Christ [EXCLUSIVE AUDIO]
For all your Inspiration Updates and to chat with us online LIKE US on Facebook!