“The Help” continues to captivate audiences everywhere, even after opening week. The second weekend it cleaned up and moved up to No. 1 with $20.5 million, raising its domestic total to $71.8 million and bumped “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” to No. 2.
The period drama stars Viola Davis, Emma Stone and Octavia Spencer who all are a part of an Old Southern setting.
In its second week, the movie is making news because typically films drop in revenue 50 percent. But this week it was only down 21 from opening weekend.
“It is a rare feat to see a film not open at No. 1 and then become No. 1,” said Dave Hollis, head of distribution at Disney. “To me, it’s a testament of it being a great film, as well as the viral nature of the word of mouth about it.”
Here’s the box office breakdown:
1. “The Help,” $20.5 million.
2. “Rise of the Planet of the Apes,” $16.3 million.
3. “Spy Kids: All the Time in the World,” $12 million.
4. “Conan the Barbarian,” $10 million.
5. “Fright Night,” $8.3 million.
6. “The Smurfs,” $8 million ($35.3 million international).
7. “Final Destination 5,” $7.7 million.
8. “30 Minutes or Less,” $6.3 million.
9. “One Day,” $5.1 million.
10. “Crazy, Stupid, Love,” $5 million.
Most Popular Articles
Beyoncé Shows Love To Columbus Couple During Renaissance Tour
Ohio State Finally Names Buckeyes Starting Quarterback
Praise 94.5 Mobile App
Submit A Black Owned Business For Buy Black Cleveland!
Arrest Warrant Issued For Former Ohio State & NFL Linebacker Darron Lee
Ciara Confirms Pregnancy, Expecting Baby No. 4
The Gift by Donald Lawrence - Give Us Your Feedback
Ohio: Most Confrontational Drivers In The Country