It is no surprise that Americans spend a lot of time online, but almost a quarter of time is spent using social networking sites, according to research firm Nielsen.
Nielsen said online games take up only 9.8 percent of our time, and email takes up 7.6 percent.
In terms of where people socialize online, Facebook dominates – 140 million Americans spent more than 53 billion total minutes on the site in the one month that was measured earlier this year.
Blogging platforms Blogger and WordPress were also popular, and micro-blogging site Twitter continues to be a top site.
Nielsen also shared some interesting demographic breakdowns:
- Facebook, like all social networking sites, is used by more women than men.
- Linkedin and Wikia, host of Wikipedia, are the only top 10 social networking sites that show more male users than female.
- More African Americans use twitter than any other top 10 social networking site.
- In terms of trends for the future, Tumblr nearly tripled its users in the past year and is now the eighth largest social networking site.
- Thirty-seven percent of social networkers now access these sites through their mobile phones.
article courtesy of 19ActionNews.com