The hot topic of sexual harassment in the workplace caused some heated debate among the ladies of “The View” Monday.
The discussion was of course sparked by the latest twist in the Herman Cain harassment saga. Cain’s wife Gloria spoke out for the first time in an interview with Fox News that aired Monday night. She stood by the GOP presidential candidate, saying that there was no way the multiple allegations of harassment against him could be real.
After talking about the interview briefly, Whoopi Goldberg brought up a controversial op-ed by writer Katie Roiphe in Sunday’s New York Times, which purported that behavior said to constitute sexual harassment is too broad and amorphous, and that “maybe it’s better to live and work with colorful or inappropriate comments, with irreverence, wildness, incorrectness, ease.”
The article instantly provoked a fierce backlash in the blogosphere, and Joy Behar initially seemed to have little time for Roiphe’s thesis. Behar said that it served to “minimize” the very real harassment and assault that women can be subjected to.
Goldberg said that anyone who is uncomfortable with, say, dirty jokes in the workplace should “walk away” if they hear them. But Sherri Shepherd took issue with this blanket advice.
“If a person in the position of power is doing the dirty jokes, it’s harder to say ‘I don’t like what you’re saying’ and walk out,” she said.” Goldberg objected to this. “I’m sorry, no!” she said. “That’s bull … you can walk away.” Shepherd pushed back, saying that people who walked out all the time would be noticed.
Goldberg disagrees. “I don’t think it’s hard,” she said. “That’s not correct behavior! If you are being harassed by somebody you need to speak up.” She said that, if women didn’t, “then the issue is with you, because you don’t think enough of yourself to walk away.”
Watch the exchange below.
Most Popular Articles
- T.I. & Tiny snap pic for ‘Family Hustle’
- SMH! Gayle King Spotted Holding Hands with a MARRIED MAN! Guess Who…
- Real Housewives star Kim Zolciak wears an over-the-top Southern belle gown as she weds NFL player Kroy Biermann
- SHOCKING! Penn State Coach Allegedly Rapes Poor Black Kids Since 1994!
- Did You Know That Kyla Pratt Has A 1-Year-Old Baby?
- Lesbian Lovers Given Life Sentence for Child’s Beating Death Fall Out in Court(Video)
- BREAKING NEWS: Erick Sermon of EPMD has a Heart Attack!
- Access Cleveland Podcast: The Cast of “The Bridge of No Return” (Full Interview)
- #WTF Man Beats Wife While She’s Driving; They Crash, He Dies!
- RIP: Hip Hop Legend Heavy D Has Died at 44!
Gina Pearson, Wife Of Bishop Carlton Pearson Files For Divorce
BREAKING NEWS: Bishop Veron Ashe Has Passed Away
Northeast Ohio: Heavy Snow Is On The Way This Week
Jekalyn Carr Makes Her Daytime TV Debut With Performance Of “I Believe God” On ‘Tamron Hall’
Erica Campbell & Roland Martin To Host Urban One Honors May 16th On TV One
NFL Legend Gale Sayers Dead At 77
The Impact Of Words On Your Success | Dr. Willie Jolley
Sharing Laughter and Tears with Kirk Franklin | ‘Father’s Day’ Exclusive