More than 1.4 million FirstEnergy customers in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia and Maryland remain without power following Hurricane Sandy.
Periods of high winds, intense rains and heavy snowfall have impaired crew accessibility and hampered the damage assessment and restoration process.
As of 9 p.m. Tuesday, the current FirstEnergy outage totals by utility include:
- Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L) – more than 969,000 customers
- Metropolitan Edison (Met-Ed) – more than 139,000 customers
- The Illuminating Company (CEI) – more than 184,000 customers
- Mon Power – more than 101,000 customers
- Potomac Edison – more than 52,000 customers
- Penelec – more than 16,000 customers
- Ohio Edison – more than 10,000 customers
- West Penn Power – more than 1,300 customers
FirstEnergy customer call centers are fully staffed. To report an outage, customers should call 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877).
Customers also should immediately report downed wires to their electric company or local police or fire department.
Always assume downed wires are carrying electricity, and keep children and pets away from downed wires.
article courtesy of Wkyc.com