While the economy has been an overriding factor, recent job reports have been average, meaning neither side can point to it as a strong area of attack or evidence of great success. That said, the economy is certainly on many voter’s minds but there hasn’t been any major economic news that appears to have shifted polling in the past few months.
President Barack Obama has inspired a nation.
1. Ended the War in Iraq: Ordered all U.S. military forces out of the country. Last troops left on December 18, 2011.
2. Began Drawdown of War in Afghanistan: From a peak of 101,000 troops in June 2011, U.S. forces are now down to 91,000, with 23,000 slated to leave by the end of summer 2012. According to Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta, the combat mission there will be over by next year.
3. Eliminated Osama bin laden: In 2011, ordered special forces raid of secret compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan, in which the terrorist leader was killed and a trove of al-Qaeda documents was discovered.
4. Turned Around U.S. Auto Industry: In 2009, injected $62 billion in federal money (on top of $13.4 billion in loans from the Bush administration) into ailing GM and Chrysler in return for equity stakes and agreements for massive restructuring. Since bottoming out in 2009, the auto industry has added more than 100,000 jobs. In 2011, the Big Three automakers all gained market share for the first time in two decades. The government expects to lose $16 billion of its investment, less if the price of the GM stock it still owns increases.
5. Recapitalized Banks: In the midst of financial crisis, approved controversial Treasury Department plan to lure private capital into the country’s largest banks via “stress tests” of their balance sheets and a public-private fund to buy their “toxic” assets. Got banks back on their feet at essentially zero cost to the government.
6. Repealed “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”: Ended 1990s-era restriction and formalized new policy allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military for the first time.
President Obama Reelected & The Audacity Of Hope Lives On In 12 Ways! was originally published on elev8.com
2 Alligators Spotted Loose in Ohio, 1 Still Missing
Cuyahoga County Woman Gets Prison Time, 20 Dead Cats Found in Home
Woman Shot to Death During Boyfriend’s Memorial Celebration
Sarah Jakes Roberts Goes Viral As She Turns Wig Slip Into Part of Her Sermon
Mississippi Cop Shoots 11-Year-Old Boy In Chest After He Called 911 To Help His Mother
Iconic Singer Tina Turner Dead at 83
Praise 94.5 Mobile App
Kierra Sheard-Kelly Announces Pregnancy: “I Am So Excited & Blessed”