Monday was Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. It is a time we set aside to honor and pay tribute to the life and transformational work of one man who believed he could change the world with the help of God.
Through courageous words and actions, Dr. King strove for peace, inclusion, and harmony among all people.
The influential Civil Rights Leader and Baptist preacher’s words and example of non-violent protest continue to inspire generations, and in 2013, his legacy lives on.
In honor of what would have been Dr. King’s 84th birthday, EEW editors have gathered 10 of our favorite Dr. King quotes.
1. On the Power of Love: Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
2. On Handling Challenges: The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
3. On Speaking Up: Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
4. On Forgiveness: We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.
5. On Doing Right: The time is always right to do what is right.
6. On Helping Others: The first question which the priest and the Levite asked was: “If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?” But… the good Samaritan reversed the question: “If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?”
7. On the Power of the Law: It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that’s pretty important.
CLICK HERE to read story
article courtesy of EEWMagazine.com