Several blocks in Canton were evacuated Monday night after chemicals were released.

Canton firefighters were called to the 1800 block of 22nd Street NE near Maple Avenue at about 2 p.m. Monday for a fire. Battalion Chief Thomas Garra said when the firefighters went inside the building and spotted white smoke, they called hazmat.

The building, which houses the company Convoy Inc., was still smoldering several hours later because of the sulfur dioxide release. By 10 p.m., the building was fully engulfed in flames.

According to its website, Convoy Containers Inc. stopped operations in May 2011.

CLICK HERE to read story

article courtesy of

Leave a Reply