The Call & Post newspaper was the result of two struggling weekly papers merging together to create one publication. One was named the Call and the other was called the Post.

The marriage, so to speak, took place in 1927 and got off to a rocky start until William. O. Walker came on the scene in 1932. Walker was a black businessman from Baltimore who took the paper’s size from four to 12 pages and increased it’s circulation to 10,000.

The Call & Post’s success was attributed to the violent stories that were sensationalized on the front page. But it was balanced by the paper’s excellent coverage of the African American community’s religious and social news. When it came to politics, the paper had support from local black Democrats and a few Republican preferences in the national arena.

In 1959 it was time to move. The paper moved from E. 55th Street to its own building on E. 105th and Chester Ave. This is where the paper became one of the first in Ohio to convert to offset printing. Also at this time separate editions were added in Cincinnati and Columbus.

CLICK HERE to read story


Leave a Reply