2 lb sweet potatoes (about 5 small), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces2 lb russet potatoes (about 7 small), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch piecesCoarse salt and freshly ground pepper¾ cup whole milk, warmed¾ cup heavy cream, warmed1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, melted2 Tbsp all-purpose flourPinch of cayenne pepper1 leek, white and light-green parts only, cut into 1/4-inch rounds, washed well, and dried (about 2 cups)Safflower oil, for frying
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cover sweet potatoes and russet potatoes each with 1 inch water in 2 separate medium saucepans. Bring to a boil, salt generously, and boil until fork-tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and return potatoes to respective pans.
- In a bowl, combine milk, cream, and butter. Divide milk mixture between saucepans. Mash potatoes until smooth; season with salt and pepper.
- Spread mashed sweet potatoes evenly in the bottom of a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Top with mashed russet potatoes; spread evenly to edges. Bake until golden, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine flour and cayenne. Add leeks; toss to coat. In a medium saucepan, heat 2 inches oil over medium-high heat until a thermometer registers 350 degrees. Working in batches, add leeks and cook, turning, until crisp and light golden around edges, about 1 minute. With a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Season with salt.
- Sprinkle fried leeks over potatoes; serve.
More from Praise Cleveland
Woman Shot to Death During Boyfriend’s Memorial Celebration
Sarah Jakes Roberts Goes Viral As She Turns Wig Slip Into Part of Her Sermon
Mississippi Cop Shoots 11-Year-Old Boy In Chest After He Called 911 To Help His Mother
2 Alligators Spotted Loose in Ohio, 1 Still Missing
Praise 94.5 Mobile App
Mary Mary, Coco Jones & Adam Blackstone Shut Down The Roots Picnic Stage
The Top 11 Rated Museums in Ohio
Kierra Sheard-Kelly Announces Pregnancy: “I Am So Excited & Blessed”