On Cyber Monday, as well as throughout the holiday shopping season, UAPD urges consumers to beware of bargain advertisements sent through unsolicited emails.
As a result, they released the following safety tips:
- Log on directly to the official website for the business identified in the email, instead of a link from an unsolicited email. This includes forwarded messages from someone on your contact list.
- If the email appears to be from your bank, credit card issuer, or other company you deal with frequently, your statements or official correspondence from the business will provide the proper contact information.
- Use anti-virus and anti-spyware software and keep up with the security updates to prevent viruses and malicious programs from infecting your computer.
- If you suspect your computer has a virus, have it serviced immediately from a trusted source.
- Make purchases using websites with secure connections. Look for websites that use Secure Socket Layer (SSL) security which protects your personal information. Check the browser’s status bar for an unbroken “padlock” icon that indicates the sites is using SSL.
CLICK HERE to read story