More than half of people shopping online this holiday season have already purchased at least one gift online, according to the National Retail Federation
In line with Cyber Monday, the Federal Trade Commission has issued these 10 tips to ensure safe online shopping.
- Make a list and a budget. Include incidentals, like cards, wrapping paper and eating out.
- Check out websites that compare prices for items sold online, and at stores in your area.
- Be aware that shopping apps can collect a lot of information, like your name, address, phone number, email, and Social Security number. Look for apps that tell you what they do with your data, and how they keep it secure.
- Check out product warranties. Although not required by law, warranties come with most major purchases.
- Don’t give out personal information for a chance to win the newest tech toy or a free gift card. Your information can be sold or used to commit identity theft.
- Look for rebates. Some can be redeemed at checkout, but most require you to send documentation to the manufacturer to get your rebate.
CLICK HERE to read entire list: