The doorbell rings, and you hear the other people in the house all yell, “The pizza is here! The pizza is here!”
April 5th recognizes a food holiday that pizza lovers all across the country will enjoy. It is National Deep Dish Pizza Day.
- In ancient Greece, the Greeks covered their bread with oils, herbs and cheese which some people believe is the beginning of the pizza.
- In Byzantine Greek, the word was spelled “πίτα,” pita, meaning pie.
- A sheet of dough topped with cheese and honey, then flavored with bay leaves was developed by the Romans.
- The modern pizza had its beginning in Italy as the Neapolitan flatbread.
- The original pizza used only mozzarella cheese, mainly the highest quality buffalo mozzarella variant which was produced in the area surrounding Naples.
- It was estimated that the annual production of pizza cheese in the United States in 1997 was 2 billion pounds.
- The first United States pizza establishment opened in 1905 in New York’s Little Italy.
- Pizza has become one of America’s favorite meals.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Order (or make) your pizza a deep dish one. Then top it with whichever toppings you choose and enjoy it! Use #DeepDishPizzaDay to post on social media.