4. Lady Gaga once told Billboard about her depression, “I’ve suffered through depression and anxiety my entire life. I just want these kids to know that this modern thing, where everyone is feeling shallow and less connected? That’s not human."
4 of 13
5. Adele once admitted that anxiety attacks keep her from playing large festivals and arenas.
5 of 13
6. Jennifer Lawrence once revealed that she suffered from social anxiety as soon as she started school.
6 of 13
7. Kid Cudi checked himself into rehab in October for depression and suicidal thoughts.
7 of 13
8. After a stint in rehab for anorexia, bulimia, and cutting, Demi Lovato discovered that she was manic depressive/bipolar. She told People, "I feel like I am in control now, where for my whole life, I wasn’t in control."
8 of 13
9. Kanye West reportedly felt suicidal after the death of his mother in 2007.
9 of 13
10. Zayn Malik's anxiety is often so crippling, it's caused him to cancel shows.
10 of 13
11. Britney Spears knows a thing or two about social anxiety, saying, "I'm not good in large groups, I just make everything awkward."
11 of 13
12. The Rock talked to Oprah about his depression, saying, "I wish I had someone at that time who could just pull me aside and say, 'Hey, it's gonna be okay. It'll be okay.'"
12 of 13
13. Kerry Washington once spoke about her depression and unhealthy relationship with food and exercise in college, saying, "I think it’s really important to take the stigma away from mental health."
13 of 13
Continue reading True Strength: Celebrities Who’ve Been Open About Their Mental Health Issues
True Strength: Celebrities Who've Been Open About Their Mental Health Issues
It's World Mental Health Day, and believe it or not, some of our favorite stars are battling the taboo issue. In some ways, it's a great thing, because mental health issues are finally getting the attention they deserve. But as a culture, we still have a long way to transform the negative connotations around it. Fortunately, some stars use their platform to shine light on mental illness, which in turn helps shift the conversation and help us move forward with the solutions.
In honor of World Mental Health Day, check out these celebs who've openly spoken out about their mental health issues. Thank the God for them.