Valerie Thomas, a graduate of Morgan State University, who invented the 3D movie. Morgan State University is home to the Bears in Baltimore, Maryland. Valerie Thomas invented the illusion transmitter which was the first mechanism that allowed images to be viewed in 3D using concave mirrors and rays of light. Her career started with NASA the second Monday after she graduated and the rest was history.
Valerie Thomas was born in May of 1943, in Maryland. She was interested in science as a child, after observing her father working with TVs and seeing the mechanical parts inside of it. At the age of eight, she read The Boys First Book on Electronics, which sparked her interest in a career in science. With Valerie attending an all-girls high school, she was not encouraged to pursue science and math courses, though she did manage to take a physics course.
After graduating high school she continued her studies at Morgan State University. At that time, Thomas became one of just two women to major in physics at Morgan State. She excelled in her studies and once she graduated, she accepted a job as a data analyst with NASA.
In the 1970s, she oversaw the development of the image-processing system for Landsat. Landsat was the first satellite capable of sending images from outer space back down to Earth. Thomas later developed the illusion transmitter for which she received the patent for in 1980. The illusion transmitter creates optical illusion images using two concave mirrors. The unique shape of the mirrors produces an image that appears real or 3D. This technology was later adopted by NASA and has been used in surgery and to make TV screens.
Black History In The Making: 21 HBCU Graduates Who Are Changing The World In 2021
1. Stacey Abrams, Spelman CollegeSource:iOne Digital/Creative Class 1 of 21
2. Rev. William Barber II, N.C. Central UniversitySource:Getty 2 of 21
3. Kenya Barris, Clark Atlanta UniversitySource:Getty 3 of 21
4. Keisha Lance Bottoms, Florida A&M UniversitySource:Getty 4 of 21
5. Rosalind G. Brewer, Spelman CollegeSource:Getty 5 of 21
6. Ruth Carter, Hampton UniversitySource:WENN 6 of 21
7. Raashaun "DJ Envy" Casey, Hampton UniversitySource:Getty 7 of 21
8. Louis Farrakhan, Sr., Winston-Salem State UniversitySource:Getty 8 of 21
9. Andrew Gillum, Florida A&M UniversitySource:WENN 9 of 21
10. Rep Al Green, Howard University, Texas Southern University, Tuskegee UniversitySource:Getty 10 of 21
11. Kamala Harris, Howard UniversitySource:Getty 11 of 21
12. Jesse Jackson, North Carolina A&T UniversitySource:Getty 12 of 21
13. Samuel L. Jackson, Morehouse CollegeSource:Getty 13 of 21
14. Letitia James, Howard UniversitySource:Getty 14 of 21
15. Kweisi Mfume, Morgan State UniversitySource:Getty 15 of 21
16. Marilyn Mosby, Tuskegee UniversitySource:Getty 16 of 21
17. Bakari Sellers, Morehouse CollegeSource:iOne Digital 17 of 21
18. Ruth Simmons, Dillard UniversitySource:Getty 18 of 21
19. Stephen A. Smith, Winston-Salem State UniversitySource:Getty 19 of 21
20. Wanda Sykes, Hampton UniversitySource:Getty 20 of 21
21. Oprah Winfrey, Tennessee State UniversitySource:Getty 21 of 21
Valerie Thomas Of Morgan State University Invented The 3D Movie was originally published on woldcnews.com