Since July 29, 1990, Slider has been the official mascot of the Cleveland Indians baseball team. He has been loved by many, though apparently, that may not be the case anymore.
PlayUSA, a “a gambling news website,” has recently released results of a poll on the best and worst MLB franchise mascots.
According to “the opinions of 2,000 baseball fans from around the country,” Slider was voted the worst mascot in baseball.
Not only was Slider considered “one of the most disliked in sports,” but also “obnoxious.”
From WEWS News 5 Cleveland:
Here’s what the PlayUSA poll found:
- Slider ranks as the 3rd most obnoxious mascot in baseball
Across baseball, Slider ranks as the least popular mascot
Among Indians fans surveyed, Slider only received a 3.46 ranking out of 5
The top 5 best MLB mascots: 1. Clark the Cub (Chicago Cubs) 2. PAWS (Detroit Tigers) 3. Dinger (Colorado Rockies) 4. T.C. (Minnesota Twins) 5. The Oriole Bird (Baltimore Orioles).
The worst MLB mascots: 1. Slider (Cleveland Indians) 2. Swinging Friar (San Diego Padres) 3. Billy the Marlin (Miami Marlins) 4. Raymond (Tampa Bay Rays) 5. Blooper (Atlanta Braves).
PlayUSA has Slider coming in at 27th place out of all of the mascots listed in the Best and Worst Mascots list.
Don’t worry Indians fans. Even though not everyone in the U.S. cares for Slider, us local baseball fans love him.
Slider really is “pretty great.” After more than 30 years, he remains a gem during Indians games.
By the way, the best mascot honors went to Clark the Cub for the Chicago Cubs.
Click here to read more.
Article Courtesy of WEWS News 5 Cleveland
First and Second Picture Courtesy of Jason Miller and Getty Images
Ohio's Very Own: Photos & Classic Footage Of The Legendary Eddie Levert
1. THE BET HONORS 2016Source:WENN 1 of 20
2. Gerald & Eddie LeVert "Baby Hold On To Me" (1991)2 of 20
3. National Museum of African American Music 2016 Black Music HonorsSource:Getty 3 of 20
4. Eddie & Gerald LeVert Perform "Wind Beneath My Wings"4 of 20
5. Walter Williams, Eric Grant and Eddie LevertSource:WENN 5 of 20
6. Miami Mayor Tomas Regaldo, Don King & Eddie LevertSource:WENN 6 of 20
7. NBA legend Alonzo Mourning and EddieSource:WENN 7 of 20
8. BET's 2014 Celebration Of GospelSource:WENN 8 of 20
9. Julius Erving Golf ClassicSource:WENN 9 of 20
10. 2016 BET HonorsSource:WENN 10 of 20
11. Apollo Theater's 2016 Spring GalaSource:WENN 11 of 20
12. The O'Jays "Forever Mine"12 of 20
13. Eddie and Walter Williams Sr arriving for 'The Late Show With Stephen Colbert'Source:WENN 13 of 20
14. Epic "My Girl" Sing-Off: Smokey Robinson & Eddie Levert14 of 20
15. Eddie Levert and family at The 2012 Soul Train AwardsSource:WENN 15 of 20
16. "Already Missing You" Eddie Levert Live16 of 20
17. The O’Jays "Backstabbers"
17 of 20
18. 79 years of life - A BLESSING!
18 of 20
19. Eddie Levert: A music legend
19 of 20
20. "I Love Music" The O'Jays (1975)
20 of 20
SPORTS: Is the Cleveland Indians Mascot Slider Really The Worst in the MLB? was originally published on wzakcleveland.com