According to NBC4i, a notorious Haitian gang known for brazen kidnappings and killings was accused by police Sunday of abducting 17 missionaries from a Millersburg, Ohio-based organization. Five children were believed to be among those kidnapped.
The 400 Mawozo gang kidnapped the group — which also included some elderly people — in Ganthier, a commune that lies east of the capital of Port-au-Prince, Haitian police inspector Frantz Champagne told The Associated Press.
The gang, whose name roughly translates to 400 “inexperienced men,” controls the Croix-des-Bouquets area that includes Ganthier, where they carry out kidnappings and carjackings and extort business owners, according to authorities.
Ohio-based Christian Aid Ministries said the kidnapped group consisted of 16 U.S. citizens and one Canadian, for a total of five children, seven women, and five men. The organization said they were on a trip to visit an orphanage.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
- 2 Men Convicted of Killing Malcolm X Will Be Exonerated Decades Later
- Ohio’s Vax-2 School Giveaway First Deadline is This Week!
- Verzuz Adds Chaka Khan and Stephanie Mills to the Show
- Sister to Sister Empowerment Summit Powered By CareSource
- DOJ’s Civil Rights Division Launches Investigation Into Mount Vernon, NY Police Department
- Ohio hospitalizations increase, Omicron a concern
- HBCU Prairie View A&M University Marching Band To Get Docuseries On The CW
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis Raises Concern With Proposed Relaunch Of World War II Era State Military Force
- Hey Sis Hey! Shanta Atkins Talks New Single “Fight On” & More | Get Up! Exclusive
- A Black Man Once Walked 2,000 Miles To Start A Town In New Mexico Called ‘Blackdom’
- Here We Go Again: Mostly White Jury Selected For Trial Over Daunte Wright Killing
- Columbus woman ordered to pay $250K for COVID-19 relief fraud
- Deion Sanders Has IG Model Brittany Renner Speak To His College Players About The Dangers Of, Well, IG Models
- Diddy Bids Millions To Buy Back Namesake Brand Sean John Out Of Bankruptcy
Gang with past abductions blamed for kidnapping Ohio missionaries was originally published on mycolumbusmagic.com