Beans and rice spell dinner in many different languages. When paired with a grilled smoked sausage this dish becomes sublime.
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- 1 Smithfield Hickory Smoked Andouille Sausage (about one pound split lengthwise)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (3 oz.) smoked ham diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 16-oz. can red beans drained
- 1 cup long-grained rice
Broil or grill sausage until browned; keep warm. Meanwhile in a large deep skillet with tight-fitting lid sauteé ham, onion, and garlic in oil until lightly browned about 2-4 minutes. Stir in all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat; cover and simmer until rice is tender about 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately with grilled sausage.
Serve with a green salad and hot French bread.
read full story
article courtesy of Smithfield.com