Apple Crumb Squares with Apple Cider Sauce
These squares are dressed up with a sweet and tangy apple cider sauce and a dollop of low-fat ice cream; they also make a satisfying simple dessert or snack on their own. (Adapted from The Complete Vegetarian Handbook by Kathy Farrell-Kingsley; Chronicle Books, 2003.)
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 cup apple-juice concentrate, thawed
3 medium tart apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
Apple Cider Sauce
2 cups low-fat vanilla ice cream or nonfat frozen yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch square or 7-by-11-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Whisk oats, whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. Work in the oil and apple-juice concentrate with a fork or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Press 2 cups of the oat mixture firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Arrange apple slices over the crust in three overlapping rows. Mix the walnuts into the remaining oat mixture. Sprinkle over the apples and pat into an even layer.
4. Bake until the top is golden and the apples are tender when pierced, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
5. Meanwhile, make Apple Cider Sauce.
6. To serve, cut into 8 pieces and place on dessert plates. Top with ice cream (or frozen yogurt) and drizzle with cider sauce.
Related Recipe: Apple Cider Sauce
Per Single Serving / Serves 8 Total
Calories 403 Calories from fat 99
Total Fat 11gm 17% Saturated Fat 2gm 10%
Mono Unsaturated Fat 4gm Cholesterol 6mg 2%
Sodium 206mg 9% Total Carbohydrates 75gm 25%
Fiber 6gm 24% Protein 7gm
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Apple cider sauce makes a delicious drizzle for these apple crumb squares, which are made from oats and whole-wheat flour. Serve warm, topped with vanilla ice cream.
article courtesy of KitchenDaily.com
‘Killed’: Lashawn Thompson Autopsy Results Show Inmate ‘Infested’ With Insects Died From Jail Neglect: Lawyers
2 Alligators Spotted Loose in Ohio, 1 Still Missing
Cuyahoga County Woman Gets Prison Time, 20 Dead Cats Found in Home
Even Though The End Was Weird, Jim Brown’s Legacy Deserves Our Celebration
Lil Kim Is Smokin’ Hot On The Cover Of ‘XXL’ Magazine
Mississippi Cop Shoots 11-Year-Old Boy In Chest After He Called 911 To Help His Mother
Iconic Singer Tina Turner Dead at 83
Kevin Hart Is Speechless After Sending His Daughter Off To Prom: ‘I Have No Words’