This week marks five years since former Ohio Congresswoman, Stephanie Tubbs Jones died.
She had many accomplishments, including being the first African American woman to be elected into Congress from the State of Ohio. But also among her many achievements, a legacy that prevails today was her leadership in the fight for greater HIV/AIDS awareness.
“It’s amazing, Stephanie Tubbs Jones was not just a natural advocate for many people, but for issues that are very controversial. She was a very brave woman and in 1998, stood not only with the HIV and AIDS community but actually got HIV tested and then was part of a National Campaign called, ‘Got AIDS.’ She was a newly elected Congresswoman at that time and not afraid of anything,” said Garith Fulham, Director of Public Policy & Advocacy for the AIDS Taskforce of Greater Cleveland.
The event will kick-off with a news conference at 10 a.m. at the RTA’s Stephanie Tubbs Jones Transit Center. As that’s going on and after, six different locations city-wide will be offering free HIV testing, education and awareness.
Those locations include:
- Stephanie Tubbs Jones Health Center 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
- 13944 Euclid Ave, East Cleveland, OH
- The Free Clinic 12:00 pm to 07:00 pm
- 12201 Euclid Ave., Cleveland 44106
- Care Alliance Health Center 8:30 am to 03:30 pm
- 1530 St. Clair Ave., NE, Cleveland 44114
- AIDS Taskforce of Greater Cleveland 10:00 am to 04:00 pm
- 4700 Prospect Ave., Cleveland 44103
- Lakewood Park, Women’s Pavilion 3:00 pm to 07:00 pm
- 14532 Lake Avenue, Cleveland 44107
- Call & Post 9:00 am to 01:00 pm
- 11800 Shaker Blvd. Cleveland, Ohio 44120
CLICK HERE to read story
article courtesy of Newsnet5.com
Gina Pearson, Wife Of Bishop Carlton Pearson Files For Divorce
BREAKING NEWS: Bishop Veron Ashe Has Passed Away
Northeast Ohio: Heavy Snow Is On The Way This Week
Jekalyn Carr Makes Her Daytime TV Debut With Performance Of “I Believe God” On ‘Tamron Hall’
Erica Campbell & Roland Martin To Host Urban One Honors May 16th On TV One
NFL Legend Gale Sayers Dead At 77
The Impact Of Words On Your Success | Dr. Willie Jolley
1K Phew Is Shaking Up The Gospel Rap Scene | ‘On Fire’ Debut [LISTEN]