Here are 10 items you should keep in your vehicle during the winter months:
- Ice scraper – A snow and ice scraper with a long handle and brush will make cleaning your car off much easier.
- Windshield washer fluid – This will help keep your windshield clear of salt and snow.
- Flashlight – You may need this in case your vehicle breaks down after dark.
- Blanket – If your car battery dies you’ll be glad this is in your trunk.
- First-aid kit – Whatever the season, it’s always a good idea to keep a first-aid kit on hand.
- Food and water – If you become stranded during a storm, it’s important to stay hydrated and energized.
- Jumper cables – You’ll need these in case your battery dies.
- Shovel – Sometimes there’s no alternative but to shovel if your car becomes stuck.
- Sand or cat litter – You may need to throw one of these items on the snow under your tires to help gain traction.
- Flares – If your car breaks down or you become stranded these can help alert others near you.
The Ohio State Highway Patrol also recommends keeping at least a half tank of gas in your car at all times during the winter.