As parents prepare for an anticipated summer and visiting area swimming pools and other bodies of water, here are five tips to help keep children from drowning this year:
- Provide close supervision: Make sure an adult or strong swimmer is present as long as children or inexperienced swimmers are in the water.
- Understand that drowning is a silent killer: Unlike what is portrayed in movies and television shows, someone who is drowning is not able to wave, scream or call for help.
- Learn to swim: Get swimming lessons for children as early as possible.
- It does not matter how deep the water is: Kids can drown in as little as an inch of water.
- Keep the pool area secure: Make sure backyards with pools have fencing around the pool.
Also On Praise Cleveland: