Unfortunately, many churches have done this with their hymnals, but I think they are important symbols for worshiping congregations. Here are some of the reasons why.
- Hymnals actually teach music. We’re making less music than ever before. Oh, to be sure, there’s lots of music going on around us, but very few people are actually making it. We’re just consuming it, or at the very most, singing along with music someone else made first. But even an untrained musician can look at the words and music in the hymnal and learn to follow melodic direction and rhythmic value.
- Hymnals set a performance standard. Contemporary worship music is based on recording instead of notation. This is endlessly confusing, and it opens each song up to individual interpretation. Without notation, it is exceedingly hard to sing well as a congregation. Hymnals fix that. Everybody has the same notation, so we all know how the song is supposed to go.
- Hymnals integrate the music and text. Words on a screen give no musical information. Hymnals fix that. Singers aren’t dependent upon learning the song by rote.
- Hymnals allow you to sing anywhere. When you depend on projection to display hymn texts, you’re bound to do your music making in a space outfitted with sufficient media.
- Hymnals allow people to take possession of the music. I know congregants that love to find out the next Sunday’s hymns during the previous week, so they can open up their hymnal, refresh the words, and work on their part so they’re prepared to lend their voices. Preparation like that is one of the ways music making becomes a worshipful activity. Hymnals make it possible for people to have easy access to the best songs.
- Hymnals don’t screw things up. Unless some kid has ripped the page out of your hymnal, you know the hymn you’re looking for is going to be there. Technology lets us down all the time, and if it happens in the middle of a song or hymn, you’re sunk.
CLICK HERE to read story
High School & College Choice Fair | January 30th | Wolstein Center
Praise 94.5 Mobile App
The Cleveland Browns May Leave Cleveland Again, Per Report
Sybil Wilkes ‘What You Need To Know:’ Black Congresswoman Under Investigation – FL School Under Fire for Black History – Agape Love
Secret X ThirdLove Empower Women To Feel Fresh And Comfortable With Their New Whole Body Deodorant
Mr. Officials Reveals Staggering Cost Of Takeoff Wax Figure
Get The Look: Celebrity Hairstylist Devante Turnbull Used These Products To Achieve SZA’s Grammy’s Sleek Hairdo
Get The Look: Victoria Monet’s Grammy’s French Roll Up-Do